worry, stress & anxiety
Is it Worry, Stress or Anxiety? More than ever, these three words are what you are hearing every day. And everyone’s experience will be different, but if I asked you…would you know the difference between Worry, Stress or Anxiety?
What is Worry? Worry is what happens when your mind dwells on situation and can be brought upon by any situation. I believe there are two types of Worry
- You have just been given some bad news, OK, this is happening Now, after the shock passes, you will chose whether you go into the Flight-or-Fight response…if you choose Flight you will bury your head in the sand and say “it will be OK” do nothing and run away or if you choose Fight you will come up with a plan on how to combat it.
- You start to worry about an event that has not even happened, but you start to worry what will happen if and when it happens. You are anticipating and preparing for a stressful time to enter into your life. So, you wait and wait, for the predicted event that you have conjured up in your mind to happen. This is where it all starts with your Mental Health ‘The Thought’ and we worked on an assumption, that the day will come, and in most cases, we actually made it happen, due to the obsessive and repetitive thoughts you have. ‘THE STRESSOR!’
What is Stress? Stress is a physiological response connected to an external event. In order for the cycle of stress to begin, there must be a Stressor. However, there is Good Stress and Bad Stress.
- Good Stress – There is no threat or fear attached. We could feel good stress with going for an interview for a new job, preparing for a stage performance, getting married, having a baby, arriving at the airport for an overseas trip. Good Stress’s all our good happy hormones flood our bodies, you can see the end of a situation.
- Bad Stress – Attached to both Treat and Fear, you find yourself in hardship or under constant pressure. Could be associated with illness, losing your job, financials or grief with losing someone close or a breakup, therefore your body usually stays in the Fight-or-Flight mode continuously, as you cannot see an end to your situation which you find hard to resolve. This type of Chronic stress is linked to many health concerns such as digestive issues, high blood pressure, increasing the risk of heart disease and a weakening of the immune system, increase in blood sugars and depression.
What is Anxiety? We start with the Worry (cognitive – the Thought) progress to Stress (Physiology – effecting the body) then moves onto Anxiety which is experiencing everything in the Mind and Body. The delayed reaction, that creeps up out of nowhere and attacks, a false alarm coming from a place of Fear with no Threat.
We may experience anxiety in our Body and our Mind For example: you show up at work and you see the boss’s talking, one looks over at you, however, what they are talking about has nothing to do with you, your boss was just looking around. You start to have all the Physiology of a Stress response because you’re telling yourself (the Thought) that your job is at risk. Your blood is flowing, you are starting to hyperventilate as you are over-breathing, your heart is racing, your chest is tight, your face may even feel numbness or a tingly feeling, all this is causing you to become dizzy and your body once again goes into that state of Fight or Flight – but so far there is no threat, it’s all in your mind in prediction mode.
In conclusion, I believe the worst stage is WORRY as everything starts with a THOUGHT! Especially when you become obsessed with worrying about something that hasn’t even happened. Once a negative Thought enters your mind, it has the ability to grow out of control like a weed, as it becomes all distorted and eventually starts to attack your entire being.
If you learn the tools to knock Worry on the head before it gets to the Stressor stage, then you will be living a healthy life in Mind, Body and Spirit.
If you have experienced a situation in the past, that is still causing you worry and stress out about with the possibility of leading to anxiety attacks, there is nothing you can do about it, it is in the past and is now a memory, and you are living in a place of Fear. However, there are tools to assist you to cope and move forward, to live a healthier life.
If you are going through a situation Now, you can ask yourself the five questions. You have one thing you have full control over and that is how and what you choose to react to and how to react to those Thoughts, by putting everything into perspective.
Five Questions to ask yourself…
- Is it real?
- Has it happened?
- Do I have any control over it?
- Is this good for my health?
- What can I change?
TIP: If you find yourself in any of the stages of Worry, Stress or Anxiety, try to keep a journal and ask yourself these questions…then ask yourself the Five questions above.
- What is the Date
- What is the Time
- Where Am I?
- Who am I with?
- What can I see, hear, smell and taste?
- What am I touching?
- What am I feeling?
- Why might I be feeling like this?
- What am I thinking about?
To Eliminate Anxiety – The Hypnotic Solution and Conscious Mindset approach can help you to…
- Reducing physiological responses
- Identifying the triggers
- Identifying and re-framing past events
- Building self-esteem
- Reduce excessive attention to our Threats and Fears
- Encourage a more realistic interpretation
- Reconstruct and reinterpret memories associated with fearful situations
- Reduce the level of autonomic arousal associated with the anxiety
How I can help… My services give people the understanding to make permanent lifestyle changes by assisting you to place Worry, Stress and Anxiety into its correct box and that allows you to make more conscious life choices and live a happier and healthier life.
So…There is no doubt, this is a very serious and life-changing technique which makes positive differences in becoming that confident person who succeeds in accomplishing what they set out to do and that is to free yourself from Fear. This is achievable though Hypnotherapy and Conscious Mindset Coaching, by breaking the psychological connections and triggers around your Fear.
Contact Julie for a confidential chat